ESDIS Mission Statement
The Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) Project is responsible for providing scientific and other users access to data from NASA's Earth science missions:
- The ESDIS Project provides access to data through the development and operation of the science systems of the Earth Observing System (EOS) Data and Information System (EOSDIS).
- Data products from EOS and other NASA Earth science missions are stored at several Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs) to support interactive and interoperable retrieval and distribution of data products.
- For the design, development, integration, testing, and operation of the science systems, the ESDIS Project provides:
- Project management
- Systems engineering
- Technical direction
- To evolve the capabilities of EOSDIS to support changing user requirements, the ESDIS Project coordinates development of scientific, discipline-unique functions at the data centers.
- The ESDIS Project is part of the Earth Science Projects Division, the designated Earth science program management office for flight, ground, and science performed at the GSFC.
- The ESDIS Project supports the Earth Science Division at NASA Headquarters in representing NASA in interagency and international working groups:
- To develop standards for science information exchange
- To develop interoperability functions with other data centers
Last Updated: May 18, 2017 at 4:11 PM EDT