EOSDIS Data News - 04/13/2018
NASA's Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC) Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) has obtained collection level DOIs for each of the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) ground validation (GV) field campaigns. Each DOI resolves to field campaign landing page that contains an introduction to the purpose, location, and time of the field campaign, the collection citation, general characteristics, member dataset links, and primary documentation relevant to the field campaign. We are currently adding the Field Campaign Collection DOI to metadata for every data product published as part of the campaign. The landing pages are:
- The Olympic Mountains Experiment (OLYMPEX) Nov 2015 - May 2016
- The Integrated Precipitation and Hydrology Experiment (IPHEx) May 2014 – Jun 2014
- The Iowa Flood Studies (IFloodS) May 2013 to Jun 2013
- The GPM Cold-season Precipitation Experiment (GCPEx) Jan 2012 – Mar 2012
- The Midlatitude Continental Convective Clouds Experiment (MC3E) April 2011 – Jun 2011
- The Light Precipitation Evaluation Experiment (LPVEx) Sep 2010 – Oct 2010
NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) DAAC has published Version 2 of the data set Near-Real-Time Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) The Special Sensor Microwave Imager and the Special Sensor Microwave Imager Sounder (SSM/I-SSMIS Pathfinder Daily EASE-Grid Brightness Temperatures. The change from Version 1 to Version 2 represents a change in the data source for SSMIS processing from the DMSP-F17 satellite to the DMSP-F18 satellite.
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.5067/K7VT6D6Y2SO6
NSIDC DAAC has published data through 25 November 2017 for the data sets:
- IceBridge MCoRDS L1B Geolocated Radar Echo Strength Profiles, Version 2.
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/90S1XZRBAX5N
- IceBridge MCoRDS L2 Ice Thickness, Version 1
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/GDQ0CUCVTE2Q
NSIDC DAAC has published the data set CryoSat-2 Level-1B Waveforms, Sea Ice Elevation, and Surface Roughness. This NASA IceBridge-related data set will be updated on an ongoing, daily basis.
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.5067/5SZA7GSQI0YT
NSIDC DAAC has published data through 25 July 2017 for the data set IceBridge ATM L1B Elevation and Return Strength with Waveforms.
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.5067/EZQ5U3R3XWBS
NASA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) DAAC published the Vegetation Collection dataset Landsat-derived Spring and Autumn Phenology, Eastern US - Canadian Forests, 1984-2013. This dataset provides Landsat phenology algorithm (LPA) derived start and end of growing seasons at 500-m resolution for deciduous and mixed forest areas of 75 selected Landsat sidelap regions across the Eastern United States and Canada. The data are a 30-year time series (1984-2013) of derived spring and autumn phenology for forested areas of the Eastern Temperate Forest, Northern Forest, and Taiga ecoregions.
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1570
NASA's Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC) completed a beta release of the Historical Urban Population, 3700 BC – 2000 AD, developed by the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies. This is the first spatially explicit global data set containing location and size of urban populations over the last 6,000 years. It was created by digitizing, transcribing, and geocoding historical, archaeological, and census-based urban population data. Each data point consists of a city name, latitude, longitude, year, population, and a reliability ranking to assess the geographic uncertainty of each data point. Despite spatial and temporal gaps, no other geocoded data set exists with this level of detail. The data set can be used to investigate long-term historical urbanization trends and patterns, evaluate the current era of urbanization, and build a richer record of urban population through history.
Last Updated: Aug 24, 2018 at 11:30 AM EDT