EOSDIS Data News: January 13, 2017
NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center Distributed Active Archive Center (NSIDC DAAC) released the following:
- IceBridge Digital Mapping System (DMS) L1B Geolocated and Orthorectified Images for the Summer 2016 campaign, now available at NSIDC DAAC: This dataset contains Level-1B imagery taken from the DMS) over Greenland and Antarctica
- The Near Real-Time Special Sensor Microwave/Imager (SSM/I)-Special Sensor Microwave Imager/Sounder (SSMIS) Equal-Area Scalable Earth Grid (EASE-Grid) Daily Global Ice Concentration and Snow Extent (NISE) dataset, Version 5 (see announcement at https://nsidc.org/data/nise). The data record began on December 1, 2016. The new version includes the following improvements:
- The NISE snow and sea ice algorithm both use near real-time brightness temperature observations from the SSMIS instrument on the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program-F18 (DMSP-F18).
- The coefficients for the NISE snow algorithm were updated to better match results from DMSP-F13, necessitated by an inter-calibration between F13 and F17 during an overlap period and between F17 and F18 during a different overlap period.
- The Earth System Data Type metadata was updated to reflect the change in dataset version number
Last Updated: Aug 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM EDT