ESDIS Metrics System (EMS)
What is EMS?
NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) Metrics System (EMS) collects information from all ingest, archive and distribution interfaces throughout EOSDIS and analyzes data on the use of products and services stored in databases or delivered via the Internet. Specifically, EMS collects and organizes various data file metrics from Earth Observation System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) Data Providers. The metrics data and the analysis reports generated from EMS provides NASA managers the information needed to determine how to best apply resources to support the science community.
What is Web Analytics?
The EMS web metrics component is a cloud solution web analytics service that collects, tracks, and reports on EOSDIS Data Provider website traffic. Successfully used, enterprise analytics support key design and development decisions and helps create relevant customer experiences.
- Traditionally web analytics are considered the analysis of data captured on a website: click-throughs, page views, path analysis, recency & frequency, etc.
- Digital analytics is the capture and analysis of data from all possible sources. It includes traditional website analytics, as well as search, social media, mobile, and (increasingly) offline data. Digital analytics technologies are designed to capture, manage, and process this broader, more complex and more value-added “big data.”
EMS replaced the traditional IBM NetInsight web analytics program in 2017 with the digital analytics product Google Analytics 360.
- ESA MERIS Metrics
- Visit the EMS and Google Analytics 360 Training Page on the Earthdata Wiki
- For internal users with an Earthdata Login, more detailed information is available on the Earthdata Wiki ESDIS Data File and Web Metrics Dashboard
- Only authorized users are permitted to access the following sites. To obtain access, send a request through Earthdata Support
Page Last Updated: Jan 29, 2021 at 1:19 PM EST